Saturday, May 2, 2009

Reseeding Hell!!

Last season I started a packet of Amaranthus caudatus "Love Lies Bleeding" under lights in my basement. I had always wanted these large, beautiful annuals in my garden -- and at last I was going to have them. Boy howdy, was I!! Every seed in the packet sprouted, and I couldn't bear to part with any. My garden was covered with the beautiful, large green plants with long red dredlocks draping down. They were gorgeous, and they were everywhere. I think I planted 15 or 20 of 'em. When the season was over, I chopped the plants down, but draped the beautiful red tresses all over the ground. I used them like little blankets to cover perennials for the winter. My garden went to sleep, cozy under a layer of red.

Some time during that winter, I was reading an article in a garden magazine. The article mentioned the beautiful 'Love Lies Bleeding,' and these two words struck terror in my soul...."reseeds readily". Yikes!! I had no idea! I thought to myself, how bad can it be? I always want for more poppy reseeds and nigella reseeds, I never have enough. I'm sure it will be the same with the Amaranthus. Every seedling that I get will be welcome. Ha!



As I walked down my back sidewalk the other morning, I thought to myself "what is that patch of reddish-looking stuff on the dirt over there?" Amaranthus seedlings. By the millions. I have truly never seen anything like it!



These patches of seedlings are ALL OVER MY GARDEN. I am going to feel like the worst murderer in the world when I hoe them up. Of course, I will save one or two.......and the cycle will repeat itself.

No comments: