Tuesday, August 29, 2017

A Bountiful Harvest

What possessed me to plant 4 zucchini plants?  I have been baking zucchini bread and making stuffed zucchini and feeding it to my worms and giving it away left and right and I still have 117 zucchini in my crisper.  OK, I am exaggerating, just a bit.  But let this be a reminder to me for Garden 2018 -- 1 zucchini plant, maybe 2.  No more than 3.  :)

My herb bed was supposed to be a thing of beauty this year.  But a mistake in the seed packet messed me up good, and you can't even see my herb bed.  I bought a packet of dwarf zinnias, they were supposed to be 8" tall, to edge my raised bed.  Instead, they are 36" tall and are the most robust bunch of flowers in my entire garden.  You would never know the poor herb bed is there unless you looked closely.

And I have several more huge bunches of tall zinnias in my border, somehow every seed I sprinkled germinated 200% and grew twice as tall as stated on the packet.  These zinnias grew like small trees, with huge woody stalks.  They are colorful and awesome, and I love to fill vases with them.  But they are high maintenance chopping all that stuff down and disposing of it.

No comments: