Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Summer is Over

I get melancholy this time of year. Fall is beautiful, and I do appreciate that, but it means one thing to me -- winter is coming. I dislike winter. I live in Chicago where winters can be ug-ly. Dan and I walk in our commutes and we face a lot of unshoveled sidewalks on our way. The city plows pile the snow and sleet on the street corners so that we have to climb a few hills to get to the train. Once we get downtown it's pretty easy to get to our offices, as most of the buildings in the Chicago loop are well maintained. There are no snowy sidewalks, but there are lakes of sleet to be jumped over at most of the street corners. Ugh.

One morning last winter I made it a point to thank every maintenance worker I saw shoveling and clearing snow in front of the skyscrapers I pass on my way to the office. They all seemed to appreciate it (who wouldn't!) so I'm going to do it again this year. Everybody likes to be thanked for what they do.

And now, I better keep a stiff upper lip and enjoy the beautiful sunsets and blue asters and crisp sweater weather and orange pumpkins and golden trees blazing. I'll try.

No comments: