Sunday, July 19, 2009

Me and my Worms


Vermicomposting! I love my worm bin. I have had it working in a corner of my kitchen since June 6, and in a couple of weeks I'll be able to harvest my first batch of rich, crumbly compost. I have 1,000 worms, and I have named them, in alphabetical order. Every morning I say hello to them. "Hi Aaron, hi Abel, hi Barry, hi Cindy...etc.


Here's a picture of the inside of the worm bin. A bunch of seedlings have sprouted from the vegetable scraps, they are probably green pepper seeds.


I feed my brood twice a week with a couple of handfuls of fruit and vegetable scraps. I bury the food under the bedding in a corner, and the next feeding I move to another corner. When I lift the lid off the bin to feed them, it smells fantastic -- like the forest after a good rain.

The hardest part of this worm composting business will be deciding where the precious castings will go. I keep changing my mind! I'll decide to put them up in the front under the center window, to beef up that poor, alkaline foundation garden. But then I'll walk through my back yard and decide that I want to help the soil in the native plant border right off the back deck. What to do! I think I need a few more worm bins...........

No comments: