Sunday, July 19, 2009

Garlic Extravaganza!

My enclosed porch smells like garlic! Ahhhhh, I love that smell. Yesterday I dug up about 20 heads, and I left about 10 heads in the ground to mature a little more. Some of the heads were nice and big, but most were on the smallish side. That doesn't surprise me, because we have had a really cold and rainy summer. Not much sunshine and heat, so I'm sure my tomatoes will take their sweet time getting ripe, too. It's only the middle of July, and we do have almost 90 days until frost, so we have some time to get some warmth and sunshine in. Mother Nature, do you hear me?

With all the rain, a lot of my perennials have gotten twice as tall as they usually do. So, they are flopping all over their neighbors -- especially the yarrow and butterfly bush. This year would have been a great year to prune a bunch of stuff for height control.

I have been grilling up a storm, I just love it. No pots and pans to clean up! Yesterday I made turkey burgers and skewers of zuchinni and onion. The grilled vegetables are fantastic, they get very sweet -- especially the onions. I love summer!!

No comments: