Thursday, May 15, 2014

Emotional Eating

I always knew I was a compulsive overeater -- I always want "more" food, and actual hunger has nothing to do with it. It really hit home for me yesterday that I am also an emotional eater. A couple of days ago I came down with a bad chest cold. It was lousy, and my lungs burned when I coughed. I have to be very careful with infections because they tend to run rampant due to immunosuppressant meds I take for rheumatoid arthritis. A bad chest cold usually turns into pneumonia and a full week off work. When my fever got up over 100, I was positive I was headed for pneumonia. I felt extremely sorry for myself. As I hung out in my lazyboy for 2 days, all I wanted to do was EAT. It was ridiculous. I would have a snack, and then immediately start thinking "what else can I eat now?" I haven't had that feeling in a long time, and it was very telling. I did ok with the food, basically having little snacks, but the psychology of it really taught me something about myself and my brain as it relates to food. And the good news is, no pneumonia! I am off to work this morning, and very very happy about it! Back to an orderly way of eating, too.

1 comment:

Farren McDonald said...

A lovely snippet. From personal experience living in the northern hemisphere and toiling in the concrete placing/finishing trade, pneumonia is brought on from the constant movement from cold/humid to finding a place to warm up.

In short: Minimize your movement from very cold to very hot (and vice versa) to avoid pneumonia. It's difficult to do in life, but it is what it is.

As for emotional eating, it is, methinks, a construct of 'western society' and its 'easy life'. Being pounded relentlessly with consumerist propaganda since birth (eat, eat!, consume, consume!, buy, buy!, more, more! bling, bling!, schadenfreude, schadenfreude!) only adds to the issue - and then you're constantly reminded that you're 'wrong' for succumbing to the brainwashing. And thus the push/pull marketing strategy continues as it messes with your psychological and physical well-being. So clever, those crafty capitalists!

P.S. I made the connection about this while watching an old episode of Top Gear (U.K.), wherein James May and 'Hamster' (Richard Hammond) were mocking Jezza (Jeremy Clarkson) about his 'supposed' pneumonia while he was on vacation at some tropical resort. They suggested he was lying (drinking too heavily) and that it was impossible to get pneumonia in a tropical setting. Then Jezza mentioned that it was so hot outside that he had to rush into the 15 degree (Celsius) hotel to cool off. "What...to get another gin and tonic?" Hamster would rib him.

So there you have it. Avoid if you can, going from extreme cold to extreme hot and vice-versa, repeatedly.

P.P.S: Did scullery maids have gardens? They were essentially caste-system/hierarchy indentured slaves, were they not? Tsk-tsk. The monarchies of old (and current) are those that are responsible for the 21st century race wars and 'reparations'. How clever of them to shift the blame onto those who they once (and still do) regarded as 'subjects' and 'cannon fodder'. The 'noble' aristocracy enslaved their own kind more monstrously than others they abused around their 'empire', yet it is the descendants of these slaves who bear the brunt of being 'privileged' with 'supremacy'.

The conundrum is that most people nowadays believe this codswallop. Wow.