Friday, June 8, 2012

Long time no Blog

I haven't blogged in a long time!  I am going to try to get back into it.  It's fun to go back and read stuff I had written several years ago.

A lousy new development in my garden -- an influx of rabbits.  Wascally wabbits.  They are so cute, and so damned destructive.  I planted a few marigolds the other day -- went to water them the next morning and they were chewed all the way down to the dirt.  Unbelievable!  Then the rabbits went after my collards, so Dan constructed a chicken wire fence around them.  Then -- and this is when I declared war -- they went after my beloved 20-year old delphinium.  Ate half of it, and when I saw that I almost cried.  Delphiniums don't grow well in Chicago, they hate heat and humidity.  They love misty, rainy English gardens.  I have been nursing this one, brave delphinium along, coddling it, for 20 years.  It is puny and tired looking, but it is alive, and it has bloomed reliably every year. A gorgeous, sky blue flower.  I am terrified that the rabbits have killed it.

When Dan heard my delphinium tale of woe, he went to Menards and bought 150 feet of rabbit fencing.  We are going to encircle the entire back yard and hope for the best.  What I would REALLY like to do is destroy those little furry creeps before the entire neighborhood is overrun with them.  But there are strict laws in Chicago against flame throwers, ouzis, high-powered rifles, napalm...............but I can dream.

1 comment:

Lyn said...

Aww, I am so sorry about your pretty plant. Twenty years! I hope it comes back.

We have zero bunnies in our yard because we have a dog. Maybe you can borrow one for a few days to scare them off, or foster a dog from the shelter if you like dogs. But then, dogs can be diggers in the garden as well.

Take care :)